Just tweaking a thumbprint brush I created in CSP along with some other inking tests.
I simply couldn’t resist colouring the first page and settled on a muted palette with an added paper texture overlay to give it that vintage 90s Marvel UK feel.
I’ve uploaded my flats here if you wanna give it a go.
Inspired by PJ Holden’s thumbprint brush for CSP I created a very simple spiral brush to play with some shading. Gotta say it’s a really nice effect that instantly improved the solid blacks on this.
Just a wee colouring practice page cobbled together from old head sketches in CSP. I inked and coloured the heads individually spending about 20 to 40 mins on each until I filled the page.
A wee 2021 sketchdump… sadly, not much time for drawing this year.
Quite a few months between these but I had fun with the Audrey II sketches… Feeeeeed me Seymour!!!
Been feeling a little aimless with my inking this last year, a little bored with the lines I’m putting down. This page was an attempt to concentrate on pencilling again, to shake the rust off.
PJ Holden kindly offered up some more inks for colouring on his blog and I couldn’t resist. Give it a go too why don’t cha, I’d love to see some more approaches to this sublime wee one pager.
I really enjoyed colouring PJ Holden’s work last month and I’ve been looking for similar sketches to practice on. Colorist Jam is always popping up in my timeline so thought I’d give this month’s Cap a go. Spent about 30 mins on it altogether (including flatting for Clip Studio) using a conventional palette with a texture overlay.
Would’ve been just swell if he also offered up the flats too (just kidding PJ). I really enjoyed this, it’s prob the first time I’ve tried colouring someone else’s work and I spent just under 30 mins on it altogether. I produced the flats in CSP using the workflow from PJ’s Imagine FX tutorial and briefly considered exporting the file for use in Procreate to just go crazy with texture and brushes. I quickly changed my mind though and imported an overlay texture layer after I worked out my palette and added shading, etc.
- Origins #3 (of 6) (W) Clay Chapman (A/CA) Jakub Rebelka, Patricio Delpeche (L) Jim Campbell
- Fire Power #7 (W) Robert Kirkman (A/CA) Chris Samnee, Matthew Wilson (L) Rus Wooton
- Grit #2 (W) Brian Wickman (CA) Mark Laszlo (A) Kevin Castaniero, Simon Gough (L) Micah Myers
- Barbalien Red Planet #3 (W) Tate Brombal (A/CA) Gabriel Hernandez Walta, Jordie Bellaire (L) Aditya Bidikar
PanelxPanel #43 (February) Year in Review
- Modern Masters Vol. 04 Kevin Nowlan (W) Eric Nolen-Weathington (A/CA) Kevin Nowlan
Kevin Nowlan celebrated his 63rd birthday and I finally grabbed a copy of Modern Masters Vol 4 from Twomorrows Publishing. I’ve been after this in print for a while now but it’s damn near impossible to track down at a reasonable price. Thankfully the digital edition is great and available here for purchase now.
- Hellboy Complete Short Stories TP Vol. 02 (W) Mike Mignola, Joshua Dysart (A) Richard Corben, Scott Hampton, P. Craig Russell, Kevin Nowlan (A/CA) Mike Mignola
- The Walking Dead – The Alien HC (W) Brian K. Vaughan (A/CA) Marcos Martin (C) Cliff Rathburn (L) Rus Wooton
This is superb, an absolute joy for fans of TWD or Panel Syndicate, highly recommended!
Declan Shalvey included the process and thumbnails for Immortal Hulk: Flatline in this months PanelxPanel craft corner. The moment below put a massive smile on my face and I laughed like an idiot when I saw it again in print.
Very quick fan art of Matt Garvey from back in October, drawn in procreate.
Some other stuff from the sketchbook…