Yep, it’s Friday alright, hope you all have a good weekend!
Swamp Thing should be creepy, right?
Drawn using Frenden’s Hawley Inker Random in clip studio paint, I shaded the face roughly and then applied a motion blur before adding further texture in an overlay layer.
Benjamin AE Filby gets some great sketch suggestions:
The brush Slick Sable by Frenden gave some great results noodling with those textures and organic forms.
I wanted to expand the head sketch to a full figure and started by roughing out the layout, then blocking in the basic shapes and shading. I went straight to work on the details of the foliage, copying and pasting as much as possible, creating random in-betweens to avoid repetition.
I didn’t really achieve what I wanted from the drawing, the figure is static and the anatomy is lost in the details of the fungus, branches and greenery.
I roughed out a second layout that feels right for the character and there’s also ample space to include the background of the swamp itself.
I posted this quick sketch for #DrawDeathsHeadDay back in March:
#DeathsHeadDay is an annual celebration of the character Deaths Head created by writer Simon Furman and artist Geoff Senoir. The freelance peacekeeping agent debuted in Marvel UK’s Transformers #113 (1987) but my first exposure was in the pages of Overkill when the Marvel UK run of titles replaced the character with Deaths Head 2.
I’m trying to get better at finishing up initial sketches so roughed up a quick full figure in procreate and completed it over the course of a few evenings.
Had a lot of fun with the eyes on this and other tiny details that are totally lost when you export the image… the joys of digital drawing, yes?
I initially abandoned this first set of rough sketches for #AlienDay.
It was only when @omarcomics pointed out the leaping pose, I decided to enlarge the thumbnail and see if I could finish it in procreate.
I really liked the basic silhouette that I roughed out in the initial sketches and tried to retain the energy of the jump when drawing the pencil outlines.
I quickly spotted the blacks using a large round brush and then erased with a fine pencil to create the details around the mouth and neck.
A default spatter brush was used to soften the edges and add texture.
I experimented with a variety of backgrounds but settled on using a large distressed brush to add motion lines combined with a textured overlay layer.
Pretty awesome to get a signal boost like this from Donny Cates:
Really like the look of this character, retro spaceman with death metal energy, couldn’t help but picture these guys when I was drawing those shoulder pads.
Had a lot of fun with the texture details on the armour adding dents, slices and other battle damage.
Quick brush test in procreate:
Brush tests in clip studio paint:
Followed a tone layer effect tutorial by PJ Holden:
Had a lot of fun messing around with this technique:
Awesome to see it featured on the clip studio paint website as part of their featured tweets:
When I was putting this website together I wanted somewhere to post experiments, share abandoned sketchbook stuff and maybe talk some process.
I haven’t maintained a blog since the early 2000s… this should be fun!